Latest News

Recovering Unpaid Wages in Pennsylvania

Are you owed unpaid wages by your employer in Pennsylvania?

When your employer isn’t fairly compensating you for your time, it can put a lot of pressure on you and your family. Fortunately, Pennsylvania employees have substantial rights in seeking to recover unpaid wages.

Read on to learn more about how you can determine whether you’re owed back wages, as well as what you can do to recover the money you are owed if you’re an employee in Pennsylvania.

How do I know if I’m owed “unpaid wages” in Pennsylvania?

Whether you’re a part-time or full-time employee, there are a number of instances where back wages are owed.

For example, when an employer doesn’t pay what you have earned, you could either be unpaid entirely or “short-changed”, meaning you received less than you were entitled to be paid.

In another example, employees who are forced to work “off the clock” are entitled to be paid, even if the employer claims otherwise.

For any of the above, an employee is well situated to recover all amounts due if he/she has kept a personal record of hours worked including, clock in/out times, breaks, overtime and “off the clock” time. It is also of assistance if a manager or supervisor has signed off on timecards or other supporting materials showing the number of hours worked.

Note: Employers in the state of Pennsylvania are required to provide employees with a 30-minute lunch break after five hours of work. If an employee works longer than five hours and does not receive the minimum 30-minute lunch break, the employer has violated the law.

Understand Pennsylvania Minimum Wage

No person may be compensated less than current minimum wage. For 2015, Pennsylvania follows Federal Law and sets minimum wage at $7.25 ($2.83/hr. for tipped employees such as food servers and bartenders). Even for tipped employees, total compensation (tips plus hourly rage) cannot be less than $7.25, or the employer is obligated to pay the difference.

For Pennsylvania employees working more than 40 hours per week, the employer must pay overtime. Some jobs do not qualify, specifically highly compensated employees on salary, such as lawyers and doctors.

More information about your rights to overtime pay is available on the PA Department of Labor website.

Bring the issue to your employer

Before contacting a lawyer, make an attempt to resolve the unpaid/underpaid wages claim with your employer. Often times the problem can be a simple mistake, and if you can obtain payment amicably, everyone is served.

Even if you are angry or have just discovered the underpayment/non-payment of wages, do not confront your employer unless you are calm and can be civil, polite, and respectful. If you are unable to make progress, it is time to take legal action.

Determine whether you have a claim

To learn whether your claim qualifies under Pennsylvania (PA) and Federal Law, contact us or try our Unpaid Wage Claim Checker.

We evaluate claims on an individual basis. We may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Use our Unpaid Wage Claim Checklist

If you have already found that you are owed unpaid wages and have exhausted informal means to resolve the issue with your employer, check our Unpaid Wage Claim Checklist.

This tool will help you organize the facts to pursue the claim. We offer tips and suggestions to ensure the proper procedures are followed when preparing a claim.

Retain a consumer attorney

We offer legal representation for Pennsylvania unpaid wage claims free to you. This is because the law entitles the employee to payment of all reasonable legal fees and costs incurred in collecting money owed by an employer.

We make every effort to provide quality, responsive, and attentive legal representation for all clients.

Don’t wait until tomorrow to get what you’re owed today. Call 1-800-NOT-FAIR (1-800-668-3247).

NJ Gas Station Employees Awarded Back Wages

Gas station workers in the state of New Jersey are receiving unpaid back wages and overtime pay as the result of a four-year investigation by the United States Department of Labor.

The investigation, which ran from 2010 through 2014, allowed the Department of Labor to recover $5.5 million in back wages for NJ gas station employees. Payments for these violations include damages to be awarded to employees.

Over the course of the last five years, these workers were not paid the required minimum wage and/or overtime pay as mandated by federal law (specifically, the Fair Labor Standards Act).

The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires gas stations to pay employees the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour or more. Additionally, for every hour worked beyond 40 hours in a single week, employees are to receive overtime pay (time and a half).

A number of New Jersey gas stations were found to be in violation of the FLSA, including BP locations in Pennsauken, Burlington, Mount Ephraim, and Maple Shade.

As a result of the investigation, a number of gas stations are taking action to ensure employees are properly compensated in the future.

Some gas stations are now relying on time clocks to track hours more effectively. Several are hiring additional employees to avoid needing overtime, also requesting training from the Department of Labor to ensure owners and management staff understand and abide by overtime and minimum wage laws.

While the Department of Labor’s “crackdown” has helped to curtail this unlawful behavior in some counties, it hasn’t recovered unpaid wages in every county of the state. According to reports, Atlantic, Salem, and Gloucester counties haven’t seen any gas stations pay out money.

In addition to their transgressions against the federal law, these gas stations may have also violated the New Jersey employment law, which sets the state minimum wage at $8.25 per hour – one dollar higher than the federal minimum wage.

If you work in the state of New Jersey and believe your employer owes you back wages or overtime pay, don’t to wait for a federal investigation to recover what you are owed – contact a consumer lawyer immediately to review your case.

Representation under the Fair Labor Standards Act and New Jersey State employment law is always 100% FREE of charge, with zero cost to you. Call us today at 1-800-NOT-FAIR (1-800-668-3247).

Unpaid Wage Claim Checklist

Unpaid Wage Claim Checklist

Reference this unpaid wage claim checklist when preparing your claim.

In a previous post, we covered what you should do if your employer isn’t paying your earned wages and pay. In this post, we go into further detail, giving you a checklist to ensure nothing is forgotten in preparing your claim.

Whether you use this checklist in preparation for consulting with a lawyer, or you choose to go it alone, remember: quality free legal representation for an unpaid wage claim is available at zero cost to you by simply contacting us at 1-800-NOT-FAIR (1-800-668-3247) or emailing us at info@wheresmypay pop over to these

Continue reading

What to Do if Your Employer Doesn’t Pay You?

What to Do if Your Employer Doesn't Pay You

You work hard for your money and expected a paycheck weeks ago.

You’re frustrated. You’re angry. You have mouths to feed and you have bills to pay. What do you do when an employer isn’t paying what you are owed?

Too many employees find themselves in this situation, wondering if there is a way to get paid, whether they leave the job, have left the job, or even if they need to stay.

Under state and federal law, employers must pay wages when due, no ifs ands or buts.

Continue reading